You’re likely to find countless vegan desserts on my blog soon, as I’ve been baking tirelessly since I was 10 years old. I literally have a few decades worth of recipes to “veganize”! My love of baking all began in a very retro, teeny tiny kitchen on vacation. For my entire life my family and I have retreated to an island town far, far away every summer for a few months. It’s so far away that we are “unplugged” during most of the vacation – cable tv and wifi are soon forgotten once we arrive!
Being so disconnected may sound terrible to some people, but I LOVE it. Crave it actually. As a web developer it’s a much-needed break from technology for me. Plus, it gives me the chance to deeply relax and pursue my true passions without ANY distractions from mindless tv, constant text messages and endless emails.
So it was there, on one of these vacations long, long ago, that I discovered my love of baking. And later, cooking! When all you can do for a few months at a time is swim, float, hike, lounge on the dock in the sunshine, read novels and go for endless boat rides you eventually get hungry. 😉 And, in my case, creative!
One of my favorite recipes to make on these hot, sunny days is Icebox Pie topped with chilled whipped cream. Sometimes I’ll whip up a lemon version, but more often I’ll grab a handful of key limes and re-create my favorite dessert from my time visiting Key West.
If you’re searching for popular vegan desserts you’ve come to the right place – it’s a winner with my entire family and the lucky few friends we share it with at our nightly BBQ’s. 😉
Make sure to get a slice for yourself, it disappears quick!
Frozen Key Lime Pie
Vegan Key Lime Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1/2 c fresh key lime juice from 5-7 key limes
- 2-3 tbsp key lime zest
- 1 c cashews, soaked overnight & drained
- 3/4 c full-fat canned coconut milk, chilled
- 1/2 c agave nectar
- 1/4 c cold-pressed coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 vegan Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 1 Coconut Whipped Cream recipe
- Combine lime juice, 2 tbsp lime zest, cashews, coconut milk, nectar and coconut oil in a blender.
- Taste and add either more lime zest (for tartness) or additional nectar (for sweetness) to taste.
- Pour the filling into the crust and cover.
- Freeze for 3 hours.
- Remove from freezer and thaw for 15 minutes.
Top with additional lime zest, sliced lime wedges and my favorite recipe for coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!