Black Bean Vegan Chili
For those crisp autumn days that you’re craving something warm, spicy and bursting with black bean and pumpkin goodness this is your recipe. This recipe for black bean vegan chili is one you’ll want to save for later! The creamy black beans pair so incredibly with the delicate pumpkin flavor and aromatic cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Seriously, if you’ve never tried a chili with a variety of these flavors, you’re in for a tasty surprise! Oh, and it goes great with our infamous Sweet Potato Casserole recipe. Just sayin 😉
I personally enjoyed it with some vegan cheddar cheese sprinkled on top – it was the perfect balance of flavors for me! A few of our taste testers, however added things like cilantro, scallions, vegan sour cream and avocados. The choice is yours, but I definitely recommend adding some fresh squeezed lime juice on top for a juicy twist you won’t be able to resist!
Ultimate Black Bean Vegan Chili
We tried this recipe a few times and all agreed that the Farmer’s Market Foods Organic Pumpkin Puree was our favorite pumpkin puree. View it here. Also, the diced tomatoes you put in your chili really affects the taste! Our favorite diced tomatoes for this chili were Jovial Organic Diced Tomatoes. View them here. Now, if you like your chili to taste superb make sure to use organic black beans! We loved Eden Foods Organic Black Beans. View them here.
Together these ingredients really made the chili go from average to superb. I definitely recommend using them to get the tastiest results! Find them below the recipe in the Shop The Post section.
If you normally eat your chili with a side of rice, definitely do so with this recipe! However, I enjoyed mine with this recipe for the most incredible hummus I’ve ever tasted in my life! Another option would be to pair it with cornbread or, grits perhaps!
Spicy Pumpkin & Black Bean Chili
This spicy black bean vegan chili tastes incredibly delicious and is so simple to make! Just toss everything in your slow cooker and enjoy with your favorite fall chili toppings.
- 3 15 oz cans organic black beans (drained)
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 c pumpkin (fresh is best but canned is an excellent alternative!)
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 lime
- bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- bunch green onions, diced
- 1/2 c vegan sour cream (we used Tofutti)
- 1/2 c vegan shredded cheddar (we used Daiya)
- 1/2 c Organic Smoky Chipotle Salsa (see Recipe Notes below)
Coat the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce with the pumpkin in a food processor and pulse to combine.
Add the pumpkin and chipotle pepper mixture and all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir thoroughly to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove lid and stir slowly once again.
Serve the chili in medium sized bowls. Add any of the optional toppings and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days or frozen for up to one month.
Notes & More
- For this chili recipe we loved Farmer's Market Foods Organic Pumpkin Puree. View here.
- The tomatoes you put in your chili really affect the taste! Our favorite diced tomatoes for this chili were Thrive Market Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes. View here.
- If you like your chili to taste superb make sure to use organic black beans! We loved Eden Foods Organic Black Beans. View here.
- Try this best-tasting Organic Smoky Chipotle Salsa on top of your chili for added amazing-ness! View here.
Not a member of Thrive Market yet? Why not?! Get an extra 25% OFF your first order when you sign up at Thrive Market! Click here to start saving on your groceries now!